Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Zhang, Jialin, Bevis Fedder, Daoru Wang, and Tim C. Jennerjahn. 2022. A knowledge exchange framework to connect research, policy, and practice, developed through the example of the Chinese island of Hainan, Environmental Science & Policy, 136: 530-41. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1462901122002234.
- Esther Thomsen, Lucia Herbeck, Mirta Teichberg, Dao Ru Wang, Shi-Quan Chen, Tim C. Jennerjahn, 2022, Species-specific phenotypic plasticity of two tropical seagrass species in response to in situ fertilisation under different trophic conditions, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Volume 270, 107837, ISSN 0272-7714, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2022.107837.
- Möller, L., Kreikemeyer, B., Luo, Z.-H., Jost, Gü., Labrenz, M., 2020. Impact of coastal aquaculture operation systems in Hainan island (China) on the relative abundance and community structure of Vibrio in adjacent coastal systems, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science.Volume 233, 106542, ISSN 0272-7714.
- Larissa Dsikowitzky, Trà My Iveta Nguyen, Leonard Konzer, Hongwei Zhao, Dao Ru Wang, Fei Yang, Jan Schwarzbauer, 2020. Occurrence and origin of triazine herbicides in a tropical coastal area in China: A potential ecosystem threat, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Volume 235, 106612, ISSN 0272-7714.
- Esther Thomsen, Lucia S. Herbeck, Tim C. Jennerjahn, 2020. The end of resilience: Surpassed nitrogen thresholds in coastal waters led to severe seagrass loss after decades of exposure to aquaculture effluents. Marine Environmental Research 160, 0141-1136.
- Lucia S. Herbeck, Uwe Krumme, Thorbjørn J. Andersen, Tim C. Jennerjahn, 2020. Decadal trends in mangrove and pond aquaculture cover on Hainan (China) since 1966: mangrove loss, fragmentation and associated biogeochemical changes. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 233, 0272-7714.
Li P, Dsikowitzky L, Diao X, Yang F, Li QX, Schwarzbauer J. 2019. Unusual tin organics, DDX and PAHs as specific pollutants from dockyard work in an industrialized port area in China. Chemosphere. 2020;243:125284. doi:10.1016/j.chemosphere. 125284.
- Xiang N, Jiang CX, Yang TH, Li P, Wang HH, Xie YL, Li SN, Zhou HL, Diao XP, 2018. Occurrence and distribution of Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in seawater, sediments and corals from Hainan Island, China. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 152, 8-15.
- Li P, Cao J, Diao X, Wang B, Zhou H, Han Q, Zheng P, Li Y, 2015. Spatial distribution, sources and ecological risk assessment of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface seawater from Yangpu Bay, China. Marine Pollution Bulletin 93(1-2): 53-60.
- Li P, Diao X, Zhang Y, Xie Y, Yang F, Zhou H, Han Q, Wang F, Cheng H, Wang H, 2015. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface sediment from Yangpu Bay, China: Distribution, sources and risk assessment. Marine Pollution Bulletin 99(1-2): 312-319.
- Herbeck LS, Sollich M, Unger D, Holmer M, Jennerjahn TC, 2014. Impact of pond aquaculture effluents on seagrass performance in NE Hainan, tropical China. Marine Pollution Bulletin 85 (1): 190-203.
- Herbeck LS, Unger D, 2013. Pond aquaculture effluents traced along back-reef waters by standard water quality parameters, δ15N in suspended matter and phytoplankton bioassays. Marine Ecology Progress Series 478: 71-86.
- Herbeck LS, Unger D, Wu Y, Jennerjahn TC, 2013. Effluent, nutrient and organic matter export from shrimp and fish ponds causing eutrophication in coastal and back-reef waters of NE Hainan, tropical China. Continental Shelf Research 57: 92-104.
- Jennerjahn TC, Dsikowitzky L, 2013. Land-Sea interactions in tropical ecosystems of Hainan, China. Continental Shelf Research 57: 1-2.
- Unger D, Herbeck LS, Li M, Bao H, Wu Y, Zhang J, Jennerjahn T, 2013. Sources, transformation and fate of particulate amino acids and hexosamines under varying hydrological regimes in the tropical Wenchang/Wenjiao Rivers and Estuary, Hainan, China. Continental Shelf Research 57: 44-58.
- Wu Y, Bao H, Unger D, Herbeck LS, Zhu Z, Zhang J, Jennerjahn TC, 2013. Biogeochemical behavior of organic carbon in a small tropical river and estuary, Hainan, China. Continental Shelf Research 57: 32-43.
- Zhang J, Wang D, Jennerjahn T, Dsikowitzky L, 2013. Land–sea interactions at the east coast of Hainan Island, South China Sea: A synthesis. Continental Shelf Research 57: 132-142.
- Jennerjahn TC, 2012. Biogeochemical response of tropical coastal systems to present and past environmental change. Earth-Science Reviews 114(1-2): 19-41.
- Krumme U, Herbeck LS, Wang T, 2012. Tide- and rainfall-induced variations of physical and chemical parameters in a mangrove-depleted estuary of East Hainan (South China Sea). Marine Environmental Research 82: 28-39.
- Herbeck LS, Unger D, Krumme U, Liu SM, Jennerjahn TC, 2011. Typhoon-induced precipitation impact on nutrient and suspended matter dynamics of a tropical estuary affected by human activities in Hainan, China. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 93 (4): 375-388.
- Liu SM, Li R, Zhang G, Wang D, Du J, Herbeck LS, Zhang J, Ren J, 2011. The impact of anthropogenic activities on nutrient dynamics in the tropical Wenchanghe and Wenjiaohe Estuary and Lagoon system in East Hainan, China. Marine Chemistry 125: 49-68.
- Su J, Wang J, Pohlmann T, Xu D, 2011. The influence of meteorological variation on the upwelling system off eastern Hainan during summer 2007-2008. Ocean Dynamics 61 (6): 717-730.
- Su J, Pohlmann T, 2009. Wind and topography influence on an upwelling system at the eastern Hainan coast. Journal of Geophysical Research 114, C06017, doi:10.1029/2008JC005018.
- Drews M., work in progress. The influence of eutrophication on trace gas emissions and environmental factors such as the availability of oxygen and the pH.
- Möller L., work in progress. Diversity and abundances of marine Vibrio species and their phages in aquaculture systems and dispersal in coastal ecosystems.
- Thomsen E., work in progress. Response of seagrasses to aquaculture effluents and the filtering capacity of seagrass meadows for anthropogenic nutrients and organic matter.
Bachelor and Master theses
- Wawrschin L., 2018. Effects of nutrient enrichment through fertilization on seagrass epibionts on Hainan, South China Sea. [abstract]
- Schäfer M., 2017. Identification of sentinel species for coastal biomonitoring in tropical China, Hainan. M.Sc. thesis, Charité – University Medicine Berlin. [abstract]
- Manns D, 2016. LC-MS based detection of antibiotics in water samples – Application on wastewater samples from Hainan, China. Bachelor thesis, RWTH Aachen. [abstract only in German]
- Munder W., 2016. Organic contaminants in coastal sediments of Hainan, China. B.Sc. thesis, RWTH Aachen. [abstract]
- Thomson T., 2016. Seagrass biomass and morphology under varying degrees of shading by suspended matter in Hainan, China. B.Sc. thesis, University of Bremen. [abstract]
- Hackstein F, 2015. Method Development for sensitive Determination of Antibiotics in Seawater Samples using LC/MS. B.Sc. thesis, RWTH Aachen. [abstract]